Member Services Consultant, MLS
Southern Tier Library System
Corning, New York
Southern Tier Library System is accepting applications for the position of Member Services Consultant, MLS. The library system seeks an energetic candidate with a vision for 21st century library practices, and a passion for providing meaningful services to 48 member libraries within a team-based cooperative library system environment.
The essential functions of the Member Services Consultant, MLS are:
Programming:Works to educate, encourage and support member libraries to offer local level services that enhance overall community outreach. Focuses on utilizing tools, resources and knowledge that align with best practices to help libraries exceed minimum standards through training opportunities. Employs trending and innovative ways within the field. Benchmarks international, national and state practices.
Funding: Provides support to the Executive Director to assist member libraries in obtaining necessary and sustainable funds for proper public library operations. Utilizes multiple methods to achieve desired outcomes. Methods include, but are not limited to: consulting, coordinating, mediating and training (with an emphasis on coordinating and training). Actively seeks and applies for System funding that directly benefits the System or its member libraries.
Marketing:Responsible for overall Library System marketing initiatives, and collaborating with Divisions within the System to clearly communicate System’s objectives and mission. Activities specifically include exchanges through newsletters, blogs, email, press releases, website, social media, and all other forms of communication outlets. Works to make Systems services highly known to member libraries, and System accomplishments to the library community at large.
Construction:Administers New York State Public Library Construction Aid program, and coordinates training along with consulting services in areas outlined in grant criteria. Works with STLS Public Relations Committee to review member library applications, and submits all materials the State.
Trustee Relations:Assists the Executive Director by coordinating System Trustee communications, which includes preparing and sending board documents, coordinating meeting reservations , posting legal notices, filing Oaths of Office and recording Board Meeting Minutes.
Advocacy:Works with Executive Director to create, develop and implement library advocacy efforts at local, state and national levels. Utilizes various resources to communicate System-wide message of public library relevancy within local communities. Assists in communication with elected officials, and serves as a spokes-person for public libraries.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Exhibits innovative, enthusiastic and adaptive qualities.
- Willing to work flexible schedule, and as the job demands.
- Understands the challenges of all types of libraries.
- Demonstrates leadership skills, and aspires to move up within the organization.
- Schedules time effectively, meets deadlines, and deals with interruptions.
- Works cohesively in a team and project-based environment.
- Able to plan, develop and implement System-wide training.
- Communicates successfully in front of audiences, board members and elected officials.
- Expresses a high-level of empathy for libraries and people with diverse skill-sets.
- Ability to collaborate with other Library System Divisions and align Division goals with Plan of Service.
- Proficient in multiple computer applications, and technologically savvy.
- Strong strategic thinking abilities that are supported by working individually and with good judgment.
- Masters Library Science from an ALA accredited library school.
- Eligibility for a New York State Public Librarians Professional Certificate.
- Sufficient experience in public library work to perform duties of the position.
- Strong commitment to providing public library support.
- Knowledge of NYS Education Laws pertaining to Public and Association libraries.
- Prior experience working in fast-paced customer-focused type organization.
- Professionalism and commitment to the field of library science and information.
- Active participation in State-level initiatives and Associations.
- Desire to support NYS library systems through knowledge-sharing and engagement.
Examples of Work
- Organizes and/or conducts training workshops pertaining to essential functions of position.
- Serves as consultant to member libraries, and coordinator for member services.
- Develops platforms for both System and member libraries to learn industry practices and trends.
- Compiles usage statistics of all STLS consulting services.
- Works with System staff to coordinate member library training materials.
- Assists Executive Director in effectively marketing System services through multiple formats.
- Participates in local, regional and state meetings to offer knowledge and stay informed.
- Participates in System Board meetings, staff meetings and member library meetings.
- Communicates continuously through email and phone conversation.
- Works with Executive Director and Deputy Director to create System-wide learning opportunities, including: conferences, workshops, meetings, webinars, tutorials and online learning centers.
- Prepares state, local, and other System plans, statistical, or narrative reports as needed.
- Reviews Member Library Annual Reports and works with Member Libraries to submit reports.
- Other duties as assigned.
Salary & Benefits
Salary is range is $38,000 – $42,000 for this 37.5 hour per week position, and is commensurate with experience. New York State Retirement & Empire Health Plan,
20 vacation days, 10 sick days, 3 personal days, and 12 paid holidays annually.
How to Apply
Please email a meaningful cover letter, resume and at least 3 professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org. (Attn: Brian Hildreth, Executive Director).
Documents should be sent as Word or pdf attachments. Subject line should read: “Member Services Consultant Search – Southern Tier Library System . Please provide your full name, physical mailing address, and primary phone number in the body of the email.
Preference will be given to applications received by Friday, September 12, 2014, but applications are accepted until the position is filled. Preferred start date is November 2014.
About Southern Tier Library System and Our Region
We serve a five county region (Allegany, Chemung, Schuyler, Steuben & Yates), which incorporates the picturesque Appalachian Plateau and Southern Finger Lakes. Many of our southern region communities have easy access to hiking, skiing, hunting and camping throughout the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains, while our northern region communities enjoy boating, swimming, biking and wine & distillery tours around Keuka and Seneca Finger Lakes.
All 48 of our libraries are unique as the communities they serve. A sample of our communities include: the City of Elmira located in Chemung County (Center for Mark Twain Studies, Arnot Art Museum, Clemens Performing Arts Center, Elmira Collegeand National Soaring Museum, Chemung County Chamber of Commerce). Watkins Glen & Montour Falls located in Schuyler County (Watkins Glen International, International Motor Racing Research Center, Watkins Glen State Park, Shequaga (Montour) Fallsand Old Havana Courthouse Theater). Hammondsport in Steuben County (America’s Coolest Small Town, Curtiss Museumand Local Wineries). Penn Yan and Branchport in Yates County (Keuka College,Yates County Chamber of Commerce, Local Wineries). Alfred, Fillmore and Wellsville in Allegany County (Alfred University, Alfred State College, Houghton College, Allegany County Chamber of Commerce).
The Southern Tier Library System is 1 of 23 public library systems in New York State. Our organization has recently restructured to meet the growing and diverse needs of our member libraries. In addition to transforming our way of leadership, we are undergoing a rebranding process to shed light on the valuable services we provide. Our management team and staff are committed to strengthening our member libraries, and developing innovative ways to make public library services essential to the Southern Tier way of life.
Savona Library Director
Savona Free Library
The Board of Trustees of the Savona Free Library seeks an energetic, innovative and community-oriented Library Director to provide quality library service to residents of Savona, Campbell and the surrounding communities. Duties include providing library services to the public, recruiting and overseeing staff, creating and administering budgets, writing grants and raising funds, and developing and sustaining programs and services. The candidate must demonstrate strong communications skills and be able to work with a Board of Trustees, staff and volunteers, as well as community agencies. Knowledge of computer applications for library management is preferred.
The Savona Free Library is in the Finger Lakes Region and near Corning, NY. The library is located in the Savona Village Hall and is in the process of expanding. The library recently completed renovation of a historic building to provide meeting room space for library programming and community use. The library is in the initial fundraising stage to build a new library adjoining the historic building.
Minimum Required Qualifications: At least 60 credit hours from an accredited college or university and a minimum of 2 years paid professional library experience.
Preferred: A Bachelor’s Degree and two (2) years of professional experience in library services OR A master’s Degree in Librarianship from a library school that is accredited by the American Library Association or recognized by the New York state Education department as following acceptable education practices.
Essential Duties of the Position
1. Provide all readers advisory and circulation services.
2. Collection development.
3. Plan, implement and evaluate library services to the needs of the community.
4. Manage budget, finances and personnel of the library.
5. Develop and maintain positive relationships with the Southern Tier Library System, its member libraries and community organizations.
6. Actively promote community visibility and involvement.
7. Work in collaboration with the Board of Trustees.
8. Ability to write grants and proposals.
9. Ability to maintain library website and facebook page.
Key Personal Abilities
1. Ability to work well with children, adults, the Board of Trustees and members of the community.
2. Values the importance of equal access to books and information.
3. Organized with the ability to schedule time effectively and meet deadlines.
4. Is resourceful, enthusiastic, and flexible and has the ability to motivate others.
5. Treats others with honesty, empathy and respect.
6. Is open to creative and innovative solutions.
7. Communicates clearly in both written and oral form to individuals and groups.
Salary & Benefits
This is a part time position with a minimum of 18 hours per week and may range up to 27 hours per week. The position pays $13.50 per hour. Paid time off is available after 1 year of employment.
How to Apply
Application materials (cover letter, resume and three (3) professional references) must be electronically submitted in PDF format to email@example.com August 11, 2014.
Please send questions to William Fiske, President, Board of Trustees at firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis.
Youth Services Coordinator
Cuba Circulating Library, a member of the Southern Tier Library System, in Cuba, New York is seeking a dynamic individual to fill our anticipated vacancy of Youth Services Coordinator. This position requires approximately 30 hours per week with some evening and weekend work. Wages are commensurate with experience.
The Youth Services Coordinator (YSC) arranges and facilitates children’s programming in a very active library. Customer service to our children and their caregivers is a vital component of this position. The YSC plans and teaches weekly story hours, arranges for, and hosts, youth and family programs. This person must have knowledge of, and experience working with, children’s literature. The YSC manages (reviewing, selecting, ordering, weeding and maintaining) the children’s book and multi-media collection. This position also requires a familiarity with computers, social media, gaming, and the many activities that might be possible or enhanced using today’s technology. The YSC works on assigned projects to promote interactive, creative, educational experiences for the public, and performs related duties as assigned by the Library Director.
The successful candidate will have an Associate’s Degree in an applicable area plus experience working with children in a related field. The ideal candidate will possess a Bachelor’s Degree in Library Science or Education.
Applications will be accepted until June, 13 2014. Our new Youth Services Coordinator will begin employment during the first week of August 2014.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and a minimum of three references to Cuba@stls.org. In the subject line of your email, please reference “Hiring Committee, Youth Services Coordinator.”
The Penn Yan Public Library is seeking a creative and enthusiastic full-time Adult Services Librarian who possesses superior customer service skills, easily adapts to change and is able to fully participate as a team member in planning and implementation of library services. The Adult Services Librarian will provide creative library programming, develop and maintain community partnerships, teach adults technology in a classroom setting and one on one, create dynamic content for the library's online presence, provide reference and readers' advisory services, develop and maintain a part of the library's collection, and assist in grant writing and implementation. A successful candidate must be proactive and willing to gain new knowledge and skills as required. Strong technology and computer skills, including knowledge of website design software, on-line reference sources, Microsoft applications, eBooks and other down loadable formats, devices and social media is required. Schedule will vary and includes nights and weekends.
A Master's Degree in Librarianship from a library school that is accredited by the American Library Association and eligibility for a New York State Public Librarian's professional certification at time of application with possession of certificate at the time of appointment is required.More information can be found at: http://www.pypl.org/?page_id=42
The Civil Service announcement and application can be found at on the Yates County Personnel Department website at: http://www.yatescounty.org/display_page.asp?pID=186 or by calling (315) 536-5112. The on-line application must be printed and mailed to the Yates County Personnel Department by June 27th.
Please also include resume, cover letter and three professional references with the application. These may be also be emailed to email@example.com.
Application Due Date: June 27, 2014