The new Freegal Music is here! As you may have noticed, the Freegal Music website and app have changed. Here are some of the new features:
1. An updated browse function that will help you find new music faster – and lots of new curated playlists to enjoy.
2. You will be able to create playlists and share them with your library, and your library will be able to publish them publicly.
3. A simple, clean and modern new interface to help you quickly explore the breadth and depth of music content, which is now at 15+ million tracks and includes music videos and audiobooks.
What is Freegal?
Freegal is a downloadable music service, like iTunes, provided to you by the Southern Tier Library System. All you need is your library card number and PIN to download music. Freegal provides digital music from the Sony Music Entertainment catalog, which has hundreds of thousands of songs in more than 100 genres of music. No special software is necessary, and there are no digital rights management issues to deal with.
Here’s how Freegal works:
- Legally download or stream music for free from the Freegal site
- All downloaded music is free and you get to keep it forever – no due dates
- After downloading, songs can be copied to MP3 players, iPods, iPhones, and so on
- You can download up to 3 songs each week
- You can stream up to 3 hours of music each day and create and save playlists for future listening
- There are approximately 7 million songs comprised of the Sony Music catalog, including 28,000 labels with music from 80 countries
How many songs can I download?
You may download up to 3 songs per week, as long as you have a valid library card. Your download allotment is displayed at the top of the page, to the left of the search bar.
How do I download a song?
When you’ve selected a song you want from Freegal, click on the download arrow (pointing down) next to the song. Remember, any time you download a song, it is counted toward your weekly allotment, even if you decide to cancel the download.
How do I stream music?
You may stream up to 3 hours of music each day with your library card. Your streaming allotment is displayed at the top of the page, to the left of the search bar. To listen to an artist, song, or playlist, simply click on the play button display over album covers, click play on a song, or click on the blue “stream” button.