Under New York State Education Law, ß 273 1 h (1), and Commissioner's Regulations 90.3, Public Library Systems provide Coordinated Outreach Library Services directly and through their member libraries to New Yorkers who are most in need and who often are not regular library users.
I. Each System must employ at least one full-time, certified librarian with expertise in providing public library outreach service.
II. Each System provides service to all or some of the following target populations:
• Blind/Physically Disabled
• Developmentally or learning disabled
• Members of ethnic/minority groups in need of special services
• Educationally Disadvantaged
• Geographically isolated
III. Each System maintains a Coordinated Outreach Services Advisory Group which meets at least twice a year, includes 5-11 members, and includes members of the target population groups and agencies who work with these groups within the system's service area, and one director of a member library. Council members are to serve three-year terms.
Southern Tier Library System
Coordinated Outreach Services Advisory Committee Members
- Shirley Callahan, Representative for older adults, Montour Falls
- Cherie Chigama, Southeast Steuben County Library
- Cheryl Czworka, COSAC President, Allegany County Office for the Aging, Belmont
- Marleah Denkenberger, Alzheimer’s Association
- Angela Gonzalez, Penn Yan Public Library
- Darlene Hawxhurst, AIM Independent Living Center
- Zachary Housworth, ProAction
- Becky Scott, Literacy West
- Debbie Taylor-Benedict, Representative of Persons with Physical Disabilities
- Timothy Tompkins, COSAC Vice President, Chemung ARC/Finger Lakes DDSO