- COVID-19 Resources
- About STLS
- Quick Links
- For the Public
The Southern Tier Library System provides services and resources to 48 local libraries in Allegany, Chemung, Schuyler, Steuben and Yates counties in upstate New York.
Consider using OverDrive’s user-friendly app, Libby! Learn more about getting start with Libby here: https://help.overdrive.com/en-us/1307.html
Want to use Libby with your Kindle? Read these helpful tips: https://help.libbyapp.com/6017.htm
Need help with other Libby features like downloading a book, placing & suspending holds, changing font sizes and audio speeds, more? Check out the Libby help menu: https://help.libbyapp.com/index.htm
What is Hold Redelivery?
Patrons have always been able to place a hold on a title if it’s not currently available to borrow. However, now, when a hold becomes available, instead of automatically checking out the title, the patron will receive a notification and can either go into the app and borrow the title within 3 days, OR choose to deliver the hold later while keeping their place in line.
This change will allow patrons to:
• Borrow a book when they’re ready, not a week or more before they’re ready to start reading.
• Finish the current book they’re reading without the pressure of the next book being there too soon.
• Wait times will improve because the holds queue will move more efficiently.
• Pay it forward to the next user in line by saying, “I’m not ready to read this one now. Your turn!”
Instead of a title being automatically checked out to you when you may not be ready for it, you’ll now have a few choices.
1. Borrow it and start reading! You’ll have a 3-day pickup period to open the Libby app and check out your title.
2. If you’re not ready to start reading, you can choose “deliver later” and select a set time period when you’d like the book delivered to you. Once that time period is over, you’ll be next on the list.
What if I forget to pick up my hold?
If you forget to borrow your available title during the pickup window, your hold will automatically be set to “deliver later” as a one-time courtesy or 7 days. After 7 days, your hold will be active again and you’ll receive another notification when the next copy is ready to borrow.
How will I know when my book has become available?
Don’t worry! You’ll receive a notification from the Libby app.
Does this only impact the Libby app?
This change is being rolled out for all OverDrive ebooks & audiobooks whether borrowed in Libby, the OverDrive app, or from our website/catalog.
RBdigital gives you access to over 100 magazine titles from your computer, tablet, or smartphone!
Access RBdigital here: https://www.rbdigital.com/stlschemungcony/service/magazines/landing
Learn more about RBdigital and get help with the platform here: https://rbdigital.com/help