Southern Tier Library System (STLS) provides coordinated outreach library services both directly and through our member libraries to target populations who are most in need and who often are not regular library users. Target populations include:
People who are Blind or who have a Physical Disability
People who have a Developmental or Learning Disability
People living in Institutionalized Settings
Members of Ethnic or Minority Groups in need of special services
People who are Educationally Disadvantaged
People who are Unemployed or Underemployed
People who are Geographically Isolated
Outreach Mini-Grant Application (Word download) – Designed to fund pilot projects for the implementation or expansion of local library services to outreach populations.
Rotating Collections – Large print and audiobook collections are circulated to member libraries and adult care facilities.
State Correctional Facilities – Interlibrary loan, material purchases and consultant services are provided to two NYS correctional facilities.
Grassroots Award – Given in recognition of exemplary library outreach service.
Each System maintains a Coordinated Outreach Services Advisory Group which includes members of the target population groups and agencies who work with these groups within the system’s service area.
- Angela Gonzalez, COSAC President, Penn Yan Public Library
- Timothy Tompkins, COSAC Vice President, Chemung ARC/Finger Lakes DDSO
- Darlene Hawxhurst, COSAC Secretary, AIM Independent Living Center
- Shirley Callahan, Representative for older adults, Montour Falls
- Marleah Denkenberger, Alzheimer’s Association
- Wendy Harrison, Pro Action of Steuben and Yates, Inc.
- Debbie Taylor, Representative of Persons with Physical Disabilities
More information on the Coordinated Outreach Service Program can be found on the NYS Division of Library Development’s website: http://www.nysl.nysed.gov/libdev/outreach/