Southern Tier Library System (STLS) provides coordinated outreach library services both directly and through our member libraries to target populations who are most in need and who often are not regular library users. Target populations include:
Developmentally or learning disabled
Members of ethnic/minority groups in need of special services
Outreach Mini-Grant Application (Word download) – Designed to fund pilot projects for the implementation or expansion of local library services to outreach populations.
Rotating Collections – Large print and audiobook collections are circulated to member libraries and adult care facilities.
State Correctional Facilities – Interlibrary loan, material purchases and consultant services are provided to two NYS correctional facilities.
Grassroots Award (Word download) – Given in recognition of exemplary library outreach service .
Each System maintains a Coordinated Outreach Services Advisory Group which includes members of the target population groups and agencies who work with these groups within the system’s service area.
- Shirley Callahan, Representative for older adults, Montour Falls
- Cherie Chigama, Southeast Steuben County Library
- Cheryl Czworka, COSAC President, Allegany County Office for the Aging, Belmont
- Marleah Denkenberger, Alzheimer’s Association
- Angela Gonzalez, Penn Yan Public Library
- Wendy Harrison, Pro Action of Steuben and Yates, Inc.
- Darlene Hawxhurst, AIM Independent Living Center
- Debbie Taylor-Benedict, Representative of Persons with Physical Disabilities
- Timothy Tompkins, COSAC Vice President, Chemung ARC/Finger Lakes DDSO
More information on the Coordinated Outreach Service Program can be found on the NYS Division of Library Development’s website: http://www.nysl.nysed.gov/libdev/outreach/